It’s that time of year again, the Champagne pops, fireworks go off, and many of us make New Year’s Resolutions to lead a healthier life, lose weight, be more active or to learn new skills. Making a resolution is a great way to make a positive change in your life. Unfortunately, statistics suggest most people will fail by February and return to old habits – Triathletes are no exception.
Psychologists believe we might be more likely to succeed in our resolutions if we break them down into smaller goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time based. (SMART)
So, the good news is, if you have a fitness based resolution there are some points which may help you to succeed:
- Set a Goal – e.g. enter a specfic race.
- Make a Plan – a step by step plan will make it easier to stay on track.
- Measure your progress by setting smaller, attainable goals along the way to achieving the main goal.
- Commit to a training partner or group, or hire a coach to help keep you on track and keep you accountable.
- Reward yourself each time you hit a target – e.g.something as simple as buying a small piece of running kit you need.
Putting these ideas together will give you a great chance of success.
If you would like help in achieving your goals Amphibian coaches can help you. With a personalised training plan, expert analysis and feedback our coaches will motivate you to stay on track.
Whether your goal is a 10km, marathon, triathlon or Ironman let’s make 2018 your most successful year yet!